Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Colangelo: We are clearly rebuilding, Jay doing a solid job
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #28 (permalink)
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu
payin Dwyane Wade

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligeia View Post
Can you tell me how many stars have left via free agency in the last 10 years? The idea of "The Big Free Agency Coup" is a myth, with the exception of LBJ last year. Sign-and-trade of star UFAs is also relatively rare, but at least more common than a star just up and leaving for nothing. Besides, why should a player be locked into a city and organization because of the bounce of a ping-pong ball?

I think the biggest problem in the CBA, from a competitive parity standpoint, is that the luxury tax and the Mid-Level Exception allow strong, big market teams to scoop up players below market value. The Lakers and Celtics are both perfect examples of this, where they have been able to add so much depth to their roster because players are willing to take a discount to play for a championship team in a big market.

The honest truth is that, under any CBA, it has almost always been the same teams at the top.
Pretty sure hocke yis showing teams at the top now that could not compete before a hard cap, so it does change for teams that are not managed badly.

Dude... it's hardly a myth. Too hard to list the players that have moved in the entire league that have had an impact since it's a boatload (Shaq being most prominant probabaly). But in Toronto it's McGrady, Camby, Bosh etc. It was way worse when they could afford to leave after 3 years. there might be little they can do here.

At least we agree on the tax. Toronto should have an edge here since it's a a pretty rich franchise but somehow we're just idiots.

PS ... oops I htreadjacked this thing
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote