Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Colangelo: We are clearly rebuilding, Jay doing a solid job
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #25 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Originally Posted by carp View Post
look around at all your rebuilding franchises, and tell me how long you think they've been rebuilding for? The reality is that it is usually longer than you think.... and in the NBA, how many teams have actually won the title over the last 30 years?

Everybody wants to make it sound like it's a linear amd absolute progression when it in fact is anything but.
To become a playoff team in NBA doesn't have to take that long. To be Champion, sure I agree. I'm more talking about being a playoff team, and having some success in the playoffs (win a round). That's when you may be able to sign a bigger name and take another step forward. You say it takes 5-8 years, the fact is how many of your picks do you have before you start to aquire established players to take that next step? Let's say we draft Perry Jones or Irving, add him to Davis, Derozan, Bayless is it then time to add to the mix via FA, trade? And if so it probably takes you up a couple notches and you next pick might very well be #15 or lower. Looking at OKC, how many of their top 5 picks are starting for them?
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote