Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - The Sports Radio Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
Ex2k
is waiting for the season to start

Representing:

Hey Guys... Guess what..

Quote:
FAN pulls the plug on Andrew Krystal’s morning show

After less than six months, Andrew Krystal is out as FAN 590 morning host.

The radio bad boy, who came back to Toronto late last summer from Halifax, was replaced Thursday morning, on an interim basis, by Greg Brady, who hosts the station’s Hockey Central at Noon.

Andrew Krystal in the Morning has been a worthwhile endeavour, but regretfully it is something that neither Andrew nor I feel we wish to pursue in the long term,” FAN 590 program director Don Kollins said in a statement.

Krystal, who had been at CFRB and AM 640 before going to the Maritimes, will remain with the FAN, to “fill on-air shifts and work with me on new projects,” Kollins said.

“Andrew is a talented broadcaster and a valued member of our team,” he said.

The move comes two months after ratings showed Krystal, who took over the morning slot in October, trailed his predecessors Don Landry and Gord Stellick in the target male audience, though he bettered them with those aged 18 to 34.

It also comes amid widespread speculation that Keith Pelley and Scott Moore, new bosses at Rogers, which owns FAN 590, want a more sports-focused personality at the helm of the show weekdays from 5:30 to 9 a.m.

Soon after Kollins made the announcement to FAN staff, Krystal took to Twitter to make it clear that he had not been fired.

“I am not off the Fan 590. Not even close. Everything is good in Andrew land,” he replied to one follower.

“I am not ‘out’. I am a straight male gainfully employed by the Fan 590,” he responded to another.

Stellick, who was bounced from the morning slot but now hosts “Blue and White Tonight” on FAN 590 on Leafs game nights, quipped Thursday afternoon that he was busy preparing the latest edition of that “radio juggernaut” and had not had discussions about returning to his old time slot.

“It’s a very interesting time in the business,” he said. “Lots of things are percolating.”
Ex2k is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote