Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Day 4 Olympics Recap
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
BballWatcher
kicking himself for being so emotionally invested in the Roller-coaster Raptors

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkang View Post
Who is lithuania's best player?
Who's Greece's best player?

I too feel that this year's USA team has a date with gold. They have too much depth at PG and star power that just overpowers the world, combined with a determination on D instilled by Coach K and the rest.

Nonetheless, Greece, Lithuania, Spain and Argentia (and even Croatia) are threatening teams with shooters, solid team play and that bleed their countries' colours all over the court.

In particular, I think Spain (even after today's bad loss) and Argentina are threats that cannot be taken lightly by even the US.

With Paul, Deron, LeBron, Wade and Bosh all on their A game the USA is too much for the world, but a bad lineup with Carmelo, Redd, Kidd and Dwight Howard all taking bad shots could potentially shoot themselves out of a game as well. I don't think Coach K will let it happen, but it's fun that there are teams that can actually compete with the US.

As for today's obliteration of Spain: the USA is definitely impressive, but bear in mind that Spain is also trying out a bunch of things (most of which failed). They tried a small 3-guard lineup today with Calderon/Fernandez on the court with Rubio and Navarro (it failed miserably). They played 4 point guards today total (Lopez, for example, will not get PT in important games since they have Rubio, Calderon and Fernandez on the team as well). Also, Navarro may see a quick trip to the bench if his shot isn't falling in favour of the more versatile Rubio or Fernandez at the 2 in tournament play.

Garbajosa looks like he still isn't in top shape and may not get much burn in the tourney (though we'll see, he could play at the 3).

Last edited by BballWatcher; 08-16-2008 at 03:29 PM.
BballWatcher is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote