Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Embracing Basketball as a Team Sport
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
pzabby
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brack View Post
We as raptor fans including myself always embrace the idea of building a team around a superstar Damon\Vince\Bosh who are not team first guys. We ever going to embrace a winning culture in Toronto then we need to start having to build around team guys and I am starting to see that with the current roster:

Point Guard Jose\Jerryd
Guard DeMar\Barbosa\Sonny
Small Forward - Kleiza\Julian
Power Forward Amir\Ed\Joey
Center Andrea\Reggie\

This group does not stand out to be as very skilled when they play against the elite but they do however put together effort for most nights and they still young team who is growing together.

Men in charge is actually sticking with their plan so far, regardless of what impatient fans and misinformed media trying to call for GMs\Coaches\Players Head:

1. Impatient Fans \ Media needs to understand that building a team is a process
2. Every time the fans or Media calling for some bodies head it does not mean that men in charge needs to listen to them

a. I have seen media and fans calling to fire our GMs
b. I have read media and fans calling to fire our Couch Jay
c. I have read media and fans complaining about Jose\Andrea\Amirs Contract\DeMar\Sonny\Kleiza

Fans and Media should let the men in charge do their job:

One thing that below organizations [Jazz, San Antonio, Boston, and Lakers] all have in common is as follows:

1. Stability at the Top [ GM\Coach\Team Building]
2. Patience with building a team
3. Having a plan and executing at the right time
4. Not being afraid to make a mistake and correcting them to meet short and long term goals

The below questions are being asked a lot in the forms\Media:

1. Why is Andrea not grabbing rebounds and not defending?

a. Does anybody did not see that team seems to play well when he is playing with the like of Reggie\Amir\ED
b. Can somebody name me a center that does the following:
1. Attack the rim through penetration like a guard ball in his hand
2. Guard the typical center of the NBA
3. Offence get run through him
4. Name me a power forward that plays the finesse game but yet have to guard power guy on the opposite team

2. Jose is too slow and his defense is unreliable, he is lost on most of the defensive assignment

a. Does nobody seems to noticed that he is leading the team in steals
b. Does nobody seems to noticed that he makes everyone around him better
c. He is being a professional who is not taking a day off even after a trade that almost shipped him out

3. DeMar cannot shoot/he does not have the handle/ he is not a good defender

a. Does nobody seems to noticed that he is only 22
b. Does nobody seems to noticed he has improve his game from last year and he seems to get better every game
c. Does nobody seems to noticed that he has progressed

I am glad that Jose, Reggie and Amir sticking up for his team mate Andrea and I would like to see that more from DeMar and Andrea. A true character of a leader is judged when going get though you stick to each other, by standing up for your team mates and let the action speak for itself. I truly believe that winning and losing is not determined by only having enough talent more than that mental toughness leaving it all out in the floor and getting right backup.
I start to see this change through the players we have in our current roster Reggie, Barbosa, Amir, ED, Julian, Jerryd, and Jose which seems to brush on some of our finesse guys DeMar and Andrea.
+1

i agree with you completely, other than one point. if we continue on with this lineup, we will never be a top 4 seed in the east and/or contenders. yes we may(probably will) in a couple years make the playoffs but no more than that. we need an injection of talent through the draft.

other than that, i have no complaints and honestly, even in Bargnani who i have complained a great deal about in prior posts is starting to show me effort on the other end of the floor. 6-10 times i see him committing to defence and help defence, and boxing out at the end of the play. say it isnt much but its improvement from his earlier 2-10 times. DD improving nicely, will be a nice starter in the future. same with Ed davis and Amir johnson. Jose, as said before, is crucial to this team. Unless an excellent offer comes by, we should not ship him off for mere draft picks/ role players, say what you want but this team would be lost without jose. plus he has the heart of a champion. bayless i havent seen improve much in terms of awareness but flashes have arised and he looks to be a solid backup pg going forward. BArbo is well, barbo and is a nice vet piece to have coming off your bench.

with some good drafting and wise FA signings, i could see us contending for the east conference title within a five year period easy. like it or not, we have more future than the nets IMHO.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote