Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Anyone ever do a patent registration?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Claudius
contemplating

The Killing Joke

Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRaptor View Post
Just wondering what really the process is im a little confused. If you have a physical invention that is a convenience for the public how would you send a application like that? Diagrams? Notes? Blueprints? Video clips? And it states the application takes 18 months? I mean I would be quite worried if I was the original patent of a product and I send my whole idea to the government who might leak my idea to major corporations and leave me with crumbles?

Anyone know of this field?
I know a bit about this field (know a few people who've had things patented and also have done some work for an organization).

Anyways, it can take up to 18 months in Canada but I've seen it take less (sometimes 6 months). A good idea is to patent your idea both in Canada and the US.

The government does not leak your ideas to large corporations. It doesn't happen. Typically, once it gets patented, that's when you get noticed as corporations ALWAYS monitor these things for potential competitors. That's when you typically get bought out and your idea never sees the light of day.

I do recommend having a lawyer who specializes in patents and product development especially if you're looking @ having a patent in the US (more money and better shot of getting your product developed).

Also, you need to provide them with blue prints in terms of how it's to be developed and how it works. If you simply just come up with an idea but no plan you'll likely be laughed at. If you need help developing a product I suggest reaching out to the Ontario Network of Excellence and one of their programs as they can really help you out in terms of developing it.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote