Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - SI.com: As Bargnani falls flat, so do the Raptors
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
moremilk
whatever

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
Are GMs around the league so easily fooled?

I would say just about everybody knows who he is.
it's not about fooling anybody, it's about his strengths. Yes, everybody knows he's a poor help defender and rebounder. But he's also a great shooter and fantastic ball handler for his size. He can be very useful to a team who doesn't need his defense/rebounding.

Plus, many people believe that bad defense and rebounding are mostly due to lack of effort and triano has a reputation for being soft. So a GM might think that his bad-ass coach/tough coookie franchise player will make him bust his ass off. It's not like Bargnani can't defend/rebound, it's just that he won't apply himself.

Even better, you can usually tell when he wants to hustle and when he's taking the night off. On this team, the sad truth is that we lack scoring so badly that we have to play him regardless. A good team has the luxury to keep him on the bench, which is also one of the great motivating factors in the NBA ...

The bigger problem is that Bargnani is mostly useful to a good team, and those teams don't really have much to offer other than expiring and bad draft picks. I'm sure Miami would pick him up in a heartbeat if they had a 10 million expiring contract to use. The trick is getting a real asset back, a good draft pick or a good prospect. I don't think we'll be able to do that, teams always overvalue their own young players and draft picks.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote