Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - SI.com: As Bargnani falls flat, so do the Raptors
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 12:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
BballWatcher
kicking himself for being so emotionally invested in the Roller-coaster Raptors

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
There certainly is a lot of noise from the broadcasting crews over the last week or so. I listen to Leo and Jack and Matt even, and I wonder what they were seeing in years past. Do Bargnani's failings just stand out that much more now?
Here's a question - how much of what gets said comes from team management? Did anyone else get the feeling that there were some attempts to make Andrea look larger than life when he was playing well. When the played in New York, Matt threw out the line about Andrea playing on the big stage right at the start of the game, as if a really big game was practically assured and the media had been tipped off to look out for something special. And then those good games get milked for as long as possible even when he's clearly leveled off. Now they really look to be zeroing in on his weaknesses like never before, and I have to wonder if the same attempts to garner fan support have now been abandoned in favor of preparing the fanbase for moving the guy that we were told was going to be the future of the team. If they have decided that he has to go, then it would be better to have most fans feel that it was a positive thing moving forward rather than incur the wrath of those that have drank all the kool-aid before.

Am I just being too wishful?

Um, yeah it is standing out more now for two reasons. One is the losing streak, two is that Bargs is mired in one of the worst shooting slumps of his career.

Over his last four games, he's shooting 21-74 for a whopping 28% from the field. Read that sentence again!

For the month of January he's at 40.9% . For a big man with a supposedly awesome skillset (primarily to do with shooting and being able to get shots), shooting percentages that awful make him such a complete liability like never before.

The problem with Bargs is that he never does fuck all on the court unless his shot is on; when his shot is off, he's really really really bad. He's a great shooter but he's shooting like shit. He's a great weakside shotblocker but he rarely uses that to his advantage. And he's a horrible rebounder and help defender and that ALWAYS is a problem...

The rebounding was always a huge issue for him; he's gotten double digits exactly once this season (of course we won by a landslide). His help D is the other abomination, that was easier to forgive when he wasn't shooting 28%.

-------

Still, I'm not all for dumping Bargs for nothing - buy high sell low? At least let him play his value back up with some 20 point games again. He's going to rebound from the shooting slump.
BballWatcher is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote