Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Why is Bargnani on this team?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 11:52 PM   #34 (permalink)
Ammo
Jimmy Butler IS The Phantom Menace.

Lackey

Representing:
Raptors

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
That's what I always tend to come back to. What if he's just not the player we all (mostly) thought he was or could be?

When he does succeed it is usually due to having a great deal of space to operate on both ends, and just the right pace to the game. If he can be left alone to take a dribble and step into his shot he's gold. And he can defend if the offense in front of him does not involve his guy all that much. When conditions are just so and he feels perfectly comfortable, he can do what is expected of his talent level. There are no fadeaways. He'll get a few dunks, and he'll get after a few boards that don't fall into his lap. But once the schedule wears him down, teams start to play him physically, and the pace of games slows into more of a mid-season grind, the light never comes on. He starts to lose all electricity. He has nothing that he can rely on. And so up go the fadeaways, the wild shots, the reliance on stiff-legged 3-pointers.

It's just all-or-nothing. And it's too hard to go into the bulk of NBA games with everything just so. He needed to figure out how to make some kind of impact in games one way or another a long time ago. Instead he relied on waiting for his game to heat up for a stretch when he played a good number of minutes. It's just the wrong approach. He's not good enough to pull that off like a Lamar Odom does. But it's always going to be the way he approaches the game. Therein lies my disgust. It's a terrible waste.
I read all you wrote there, LX, but does that last sentence still imply that he is actually capable and will not as opposed to cannot?
Ammo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote