Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Bll Fitch weighs in on ticked-off Triano’s timeout try
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Acie
landry fields forever

Administrator

Representing:
Exclamation Bll Fitch weighs in on ticked-off Triano’s timeout try

Quote:
Legendary NBA coach Bill Fitch was watching the Indiana Pacers play the Toronto Raptors Monday night from his living room near Houston. He saw that the Pacers had an insurmountable lead when sophomore guard Darren Collison sank a three-pointer to make the score 104-93 with less than 30 seconds left.

Then he saw angry Raptors head coach Jay Triano try in vain to call a timeout with half a second on the clock.

“If [Triano had] gotten a timeout with less than a second left on the clock, I would’ve said, ‘That’s bush-league coaching,’ ” said Fitch, who retired in 1998 after a 25-year career as an NBA coach that saw him guide household names such as Larry Bird, Phil Jackson and Hakeem Olajuwon.

After the loss in Indianapolis, Triano told reporters that he was upset because he felt Collison’s shot had been in poor taste. As a general rule, teams winning by a wide margin as the clock runs down try not to rub it in.

“I don’t think you do stuff like that,” Triano said.

“They wanted to extend the game by shooting a three with the clock running down. So I was going to call a timeout,” he said.

The referees did not grant one, however. And as Triano stood on the court arguing with veteran referee Dan Crawford, Fitch thought he was wasting his time.

“I wouldn’t be standing there talking to Danny Crawford about something that he had no control over,” he said. “Dan’s been a good official for a long time.”
Quote:
From Fitch’s perspective, it didn’t even look like Collison had tried to make the shot. Rather, he was just throwing up a shot to celebrate a win – the team’s first with new head coach Frank Vogel.

“I really don’t think he shot it to make it. He just let her go,” said Fitch, who, throughout his career, was repeatedly hired by hopeless franchises and tasked with turning them into winners.

“It almost looked like he took that shot two-handed. … He probably has not made a shot from that area all year.”

Still, Fitch said he doesn't blame Triano for losing his cool, considering the loss extended Toronto’s terrible losing streak to 12 consecutive games.

“It doesn't take much to rankle you when you've lost 12, 13 in a row.”

LINK - Globe and Mail
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote