Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Cleveland vs. Toronto
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint

Representing:

I'd say the zone hides Bargnani more than anything, and that he has been the guy getting zeroed in on more than anything. Jose was actually providing help to Bargnani a few times last night, and with some success - but how fucked up is that? At least Jose is not completely shying away from his defensive assignments. Andrea doesn't want to look at anybody in the post, and gets blown by everyone else. He doesn't run back in transition while Jose causes turnovers while running back in transition. It would have been nice to have seen Jose perform on the defensive end over the last few years, and the signing did bring a premature promotion to the staring lineup when the guy should be a stellar backup, but the consistent problem for this team is Andrea. Jose will take a backseat if a better pg arrives. There doesn't seem to be any consideration of building around him at this point, and rightly so. Bargnani is not going to play off the bench, and he is not going to play basketball in any way that doesn't require players tailored for specific needs, and that is going to lead nowhere.

So with Andrea in tow, I'd say Cleveland has one over on us. Otherwise - Toronto is headed in a pretty good direction ahead of Cleveland's pace. If by this time next year we still see the big lug tossing airball layups, and fadeaways from three feet out, then I might start to cheer for Cleveland instead. And mostly because he negates so much good play from everyone else, Jose included. And yes - DeRozan still needs to prove himself on the defensive end, but he looks to be headed there.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote