Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Adjusting the sleep cycle
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Shadowfax
Is playing the dude disguised as another dude

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
Going to sleep at 4:00 am is abnormal and you need to go to sleep much earlier. It's just unhealthy dude. I'd suggest hitting the sack around midnight the latest.
agreed
as for noise ?...get yourself a small fan and run it during the night...it will act as whitenoise for anything else going on around you
one other thing you might want to look into is taking Melatonin (can be found at any health store)...it's a natural compound
basically, it quiets your brain and helps regulate your sleep

i'll post a link here

Link

Quote:
Circadian rhythm

In humans, melatonin is produced by the pineal gland, a gland about the size of a pea, located in the center of the brain but outside the blood-brain barrier. The melatonin signal forms part of the system that regulates the sleep-wake cycle by chemically causing drowsiness and lowering the body temperature, but it is the central nervous system (more specifically, the SCN) that controls the daily cycle in most components of the paracrine and endocrine systems[29][30] rather than the melatonin signal (as was once postulated).
Infants' melatonin levels become regular in about the third month after birth, with the highest levels measured between midnight and 08:00 (8 AM).[31]
In humans, 90% of melatonin is cleared in a single passage through the liver, a small amount is excreted in urine,[32] and a small amount is found in saliva.
Quote:
Light dependence

Production of melatonin by the pineal gland is inhibited by light and permitted by darkness. For this reason melatonin has been called "the hormone of darkness". Its onset each evening is called the Dim-Light Melatonin Onset (DLMO). Secretion of melatonin as well as its level in the blood, peaks in the middle of the night, and gradually falls during the second half of the night, with normal variations in timing according to an individual's chronotype.[33] Terman et al. devised a formulation which mimics that gradual washout (vs. the spikes in blood concentration and rapid washout associated with most over-the-counter melatonin tablets). When used several hours before sleep, the compound shifts the circadian clock earlier, thus promoting earlier sleep onset and morning awakening.[34]

It is principally blue light, around 460 to 480nm, that suppresses melatonin,[35] increasingly with increased light intensity and length of exposure. Until recent history, humans in temperate climates were exposed to few hours of (blue) daylight in the winter; their fires gave predominantly yellow light. Wearing glasses that block blue light in the hours before bedtime may avoid melatonin loss. Kayumov et al. showed that light containing only wavelengths greater than 530 nm does not suppress melatonin in bright-light conditions.[36] Use of blue-blocking goggles the last hours before bedtime has also been advised for people who need to adjust to an earlier bedtime, as melatonin promotes sleepiness.
trust me, this stuff works...you can get it pill or liquid form...and it's all natural
my girlfriend works in a health store and she suggested it to me a few years back
try it, it will help you to adjust to sleeping different hrs (cycles)
Shadowfax is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote