Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - The need to trade Jose
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #84 (permalink)
'trane
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
I have stopped the quote prematurely, I know.

If you are going to criticize the entire team for lack of defensive system and intensity - I am with you. What I don't like is when on a weak defensive team a player who actually leads them in steals and tries really hard this season gets singled out as a bad defender.
i hear you, and i think i've accounted for that. we are a weak defensive team, and jose is not our only bad defender.

that said, i think we want to move forward with derozan (at least i'd prefer to move forward with him), so that means we can't also have a weak defender at the point. this is not a matter of giving effort. jose can try as hard as he wants, but he's just not quick enough to do the job. he's a very poor defensinve guard. i can't see how anyone could disagree with this. and to lead a terrible defensive team in steals in no way suggests that you are a good defender.

this is why i have said, repeatedly, that jose just doesn't fit here anymore. we can't have him and derozan in the back court or we will get torn to shreds. dd has lots of upside and jose has none. add to that the fact that jose can't penetrate, create offense, get his shot off the dribble against a defender of any calibre, and the fact that he gets paid a starter's salary on a team that is under the cap and in need of every penny we can get, and it is more than obvious to me that jose needs to go. these problems cannot be overcome by him trying hard.

he's not a bad player, and we are a bad team defensively. neither of these are good reasons to keep him when the reasons to let him go are much stronger.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote