Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - The need to trade Jose
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #71 (permalink)
LX
with pink peppercorns

In the Paint

Representing:

just to be clear - I don't see anybody saying Jose is any answer, or that he's done anything to prove that he could be the answer. If that was the case then I wouldn't be looking to draft a pg that makes Jose a clear cut backup. I think he'd be a good guy to have here next season. Of course there could be better options if the right trade comes along, but this thread was all about the desperate need to be rid of him pronto, with no concern over what that might mean going forward.

If we can't get a stud pg, but grab a wing player that can break down defenses, then Jose's inability to do so will not be such a problem. I strongly disagree that he's useless unless he's surrounded by stars, or that he's hurting the team as things stand. When he was sitting there was plenty of hurt to go around, and there was less of a sense of direction. These guys need only to look to play well in small stretches at this point, and find some things to build on, and Jose is hardly a terrible option to aid in that process.

As far as I can see, he's done that. And if he is ever needed to step aside, he'll likely do so without any problems. One thing I would absolutely hate to see, would be a great guy like Bayless getting a sense that he's a starter before he is able to take on such a role. That was the biggest problem with Jose. I really don't want that exercise repeated in any way. Role definition is extremely important right now - as murky as it's going to be with this group, if they can get the clearest sense possible of what kinds of roles different players can work towards filling, then they are getting somewhere, and will at least have a starting point next season.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote