Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - The need to trade Jose
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #36 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
you can run around all the screens you want, but if you don't have the lateral quicks to keep up with the offensive player you're going to get blown by, especially as the first point of defense.

i don't mean to suggest he isn't trying, but he's just not capable of being effective. on a team with 4 other quality defenders the team will help clog the lane and capture guys coming off the screens. he's not hopeless when backed up, but he is useless when he's not.
you don't need 4 quality individual defenders to clog a lane. that was my point. You just need 4 guys to know what the fuck they are doing, and simply commit to playing any defense as a team. His lateral quicks have improved a great deal over the last few years, though clearly not when stuck with that bad hammy. Last night he made a beautiful play coming off of his own guy, moving laterally very quickly to get in front of the Minny ballhander and take a charge. That's just good defense. He took another beautiful charge on Love after Love had passed the ball off. Lookie loookie at who happens to be one of those able defenders that can clog the lane.

If there's a guy that is going to blow by him terribly easily, then yes you will need another guard to take that assignment, but he's figured out a lot in terms of where to be , and how hard he needs to fight for the right position, for that not to be the case all that often.

And again I point to him being a backup as the best scenario, where the kinds of impossible offensive threats are not going to be as much of an overall impact.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote