Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Chisholm: Rebuilding the Raptors isn't pretty
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint

Representing:

He simply was not "utterly consistent and on-point". I also remember him pointing out the TPE and expirings moving forward, as late as two weeks ago. Colangelo is anything but consistent. His skill is in consistently suggesting more than one angle at once. It ends up being in the eye-of-the-beholder like a rorschach test. But it induces cognitive dissonance in me. Which doesn't take much, I know.

Let's look at the last 12 months. A year ago we had a team assembled that could stand on it's own, according to the GM, with or without Chris Bosh. A few months later they were "buyers, not sellers" when it came to upgrading the team. Then we were evolving and were told by Maurizio that Bryan was going be make a ton of moves over the off-season. Bryan's own bravado appeared to be much more about his own personal ambitions than selling seats. He really made it all about him to a large extent and avoided the word rebuild like the plague. Now we hear that we are obviously rebuilding, as though that has been the plan from the beginning. And Bryan finds it "refreshing". The dude seems to have multiple personalities. In fact he does an amazing job of shape-shifting in order to make the best of the situation at any given moment. It's hard not to like what he does at any given time, since he always puts such a good face on it in the moment. That only leaves hindsight, which is a fruitless exercise.

I do not want to lack confidence in him. There is still a part of me that believes he can put something special together. I just need to see it before giving him an automatic pass at this point. And that means I'm not willing to concede that he's following a plan that he's made clear since Bosh left, because that's not the case, and there is every chance that what is made out as the concise plan from the start turns inside-out altogether in a matter of months.

But change ownership, and change the dynamics whereby results become that much more important, and I would guess a lot of the wishy-washy stuff goes away. So, it's much bigger than Bryan in all likelihood.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote