Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Bargnani is the worst starting centre in the league.
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #33 (permalink)
Ligeia
pensive

feat. Otto Neurath

Representing:

I agree with some of the sentiment but disagree with the evidence you use because the evidence against Bargnani is not the type that is easily summarized in numbers.

0.8 blocks per game and 5 rebounds per game is not a big deal. The rebounds could be because Bargnani is more focused on blocking out and, therefore, the overall team success would not be negatively impacted. Similarly, if Bargnani has low blocks per game because he defends his man with more fundamentals (ie. a focus on positioning, forcing a tough shot, then blocking out, as opposed to hopping up and down for blocks), there is not necessarily anything wrong with it.

However, when you watch the games, you see the problems with Bargnani all game long. He doesn't reach for balls right in front of him. He can't provide a modicum of defense outside of a 1-on-1 situation. These are things you can see over and over but no stat truly encompasses it.

Lastly, about TS%. In previous years, Bargnani's TS% was very respectable for a big man, around 55%. He's dropped this year to around 53-54%. If we think that the numbers really do indicate some level of offensive efficiency, then Kendrick Perkins is a more efficient big man. People can make all sorts of excuses about his FG%, but the fact of the matter is that his FG% and his TS% should be much higher; he should be making much better use of his size. Instead, he gets lazy and chucks from outside.

I still see a future for Bargnani but I have no idea in precisely what capacity. I have opined that he is the worst defensive starting center in the league, which is a rather unfortunate problem to have on your team, but I don't agree that he is the worst starting center when you take all factors into consideration.
Ligeia is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote