Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Peja Being Bought Out
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
BballWatcher
kicking himself for being so emotionally invested in the Roller-coaster Raptors

Representing:

This is fucking bullshit. It's Alonzo Mourning all over again.

I knew that Peja's knee injury was incredibly suspect, because there were no updates on his status at all, and everyone has been eerily quiet about the whole thing. In my gut I thought it was going to end with him going to another team, and being magically healthy for the remainder of the season.

We are dying with injuries right now, so the solution is to let Peja walk rather than give him a few minutes to get some points on the board? So much for that "veteran presence" on the bench. I guess he has fuck-all to teach the young'uns too...

As someone else said, this sends a clear message that we're rebuilding, not retooling. On the one hand, it does make sense - we could use a better draft pick, we still have our TPE for trading, etc.

But on the other hand, just like how the Vince Carter trade gave us a stinking pile of shit, and the Charlie V for TJ Ford for Jermaine O'Neal for Shawn Marion trades ended up with us holding the bag, similarly we've now given up Jarret Jack (a solid Raptor and probably my favourite player going into the season because he's one of the few who played hard every night) for Jerryd Bayless - a tweener who we can one day hope to be as solid as Jarret Jack. We got to shed ourselves of Marcus Banks' contract but he was expiring anyway!

I don't understand what Colangelo is doing here. The Hedo for Barbosa trade was genius, but trading Jack for Bayless seems like a trade for a trade's sake, and it's starting to stink. We had Jack on a very fair contract locked up long term. Now we better hope Bayless pans out because otherwise we are again holding the bag after a trade.
BballWatcher is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote