Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - D. Smith: Kleiza playing through Knee, achilles injuries
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #38 (permalink)
'trane
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
I'm not sure all patriotism has to be dumb blind Hacksaw Jim Duggan patriotism.

You can love your country and not love your government and it's decisions? Perhaps by your definition that isn't patriotism?

Isn't possible that love and devotion for one's country could lead to more inquiry if you felt that the direction of the country was being misguided.
i'd like to believe it could, but it doesn't, and most patriotism is all caught up with national mythology. take a look at the states -you have one big group opposed to obama because he's 'un-american' for all kinds of nonsense reasons. and you have another bunch that don't feel it is right to attack the government at all, and another that thinks obama is doing exactly the right things by fostering a more american and real 'liberal republicanism'. all 3 of these sides drape their committment in the flag. remove the patriotism from the equation and you can have a real conversation about what works and what doesn't.

at the end of the day it can't be the flag and what it represents that is of ultimate importance, it needs to be a much more complex set of factors that take into account the local, intermediate and global needs. patriotism does not allow balance, it compels devotion to nationalized myths.

love the hacksaw jim duggan reference.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote