Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - D. Smith: Kleiza playing through Knee, achilles injuries
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #35 (permalink)
'trane
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTYNAS View Post
'trane, you see only bad things. Your home country means nothing to you. But, it's not a bad thing when people love their country.
How patriotism is connected with faith? About what faith you talking about?
I actually understand you. Antipatriotism leads to antirasism. But patriotism is not just a bad thing. IF you are patriotic, doesnt't mean you are xenophob. You just wishing all the best for your country and want to help it. Doesn't mean you want to destroy the other countries.

Maybe patriotism is dying concept, but it's not ridiculous.
patriotism is itself faith.

and it is definitely a bad thing when people love their country to the point that it becomes unassailable. anything that limits inquiry is problematic. patriotism definitely limits inquiry, by definition. on top of that it creates an us vs. them mentality. wanting the best for your country inevitably leads to problems when the interests of your country come into conflict with larger or smaller level interests - the globe, the local community, etc. nothing - no state, no person, no idea - should be held to a higher regard than another without analysis. all are open to criticism and all should be balanced to achieve greater good. patriotism limits the spectrum by compelling people to act in support of a particular nation, or even a particular notion.

i have no problem with being proud of achievements that have been analyzed and that are open to criticism, but it is only in rare circumstances that patriotism takes a form that resembles this in any way.

unfortunately patriotism is not a dying concept.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote