Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - FoxSports: Derozan might be a star in 2-3yrs
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
Admiral
Sick, Wicked, and Nasty!

Representing:

he's following the evolution of the star athletic wingman
1st year is the getting used to the league where there are occasions where he'll look like a star and the athleticism gives him a good game, nobody really knows him and the other team doesn't really care too much to put him in their defensive gameplan
2nd year he's used to the league, the speed and the refs and his skills are showing on a regular basis, his shot starts falling and teams catch on and start focusing their gameplan around him, which is what i think will start to happen to demar during the 2nd half of the season when teams get a second look at him
3rd year teams focus on him and double team him, making him have to think and use his teammates, this is what i hope demar will be ready for

my only concern here is that his overall skill level is not where i thought it would be by now, his shot needs to be more consistent and his ball skills need a lot of work, i don't even care that his defense is a little shotty because thats a little exaggerated with the rest of the team being poor defenders too, sure he's young and inexperienced as a person but you can ride that youth excuse only so much, players are developing much quicker these days with all the exposure they get to bball from a young age
i'm setting my expectations low because he's looking like a late bloomer or his cap maybe at a slightly below star type player, i'm not going to look to that star level with him
i do like his aggressiveness to attack the basket whenever he can and that there are some clear improvements, but he's really got to develop his stuff at a faster, professional sports is becoming more and more about quicker returns, teams can't wait that long for a player to develop
article says 2-3 years, he really needs to do this in 1-2 years, especially when contracts are not as long as they used to be, its too much for a team like the Raptors to have to sign him for more money the next time are hope that the it'll happen during that next contract, there's too many players on the team like that, bargs/amir/even calderon's contract is based on if he could truly develop into a starting PG
Admiral is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote