Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - TSN Broadcast Quality
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
halphbreedballer
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballWatcher View Post
The sports feeds aren't great a lot of the time. All cable companies overcompress HD streams so that they can fit more channels using less bandwidth.

-------

The higest resolution TV is broadcast in is 1080i. Even if you have one of the new Bell/Rogers boxes that supports 1080p, it just means that it's taking the 1080i stream, combining even and odd frames to make a 1080p image and sending it to your TV. If you have a 1080i box, your TV does the 1080i> 1080p conversion; it's not much difference either way.

---------

The main reason things like news and nature shows look so good in HD isn't always the feed quality, it's because sports have a lot of fast movement. Because the cable companies cheap out on bandwidth, where you really notice the difference is on fast moving scenes.

It's especially bad if you've watched some Blu-Ray movies lately. Blu-Ray video is typically 30-40Mb/s of bandwidth (1080p); HDTV bandwith usually around 5-2bMB/s and I suspect that it's really more like 5-10Mb/s.
Pretty good info...But you didn't mention anything about progressive scan lines?
halphbreedballer is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote