Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - editing mark twain for modern sensibilities
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Aar_Canada
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
But hearing the same words, if not more offensive words, in rap music for example should be tolerated?

I've dealt with 7 year olds who've used the word 'nigger' and don't understand it's concept. When I asked where they learned it, the typical answer was, an I'm paraphrasing, popular media.

At least, with Twain, it was always read in my experience in school and we always had a lesson on the language etc. It's a great tool to utilize and teach about language and ABOUT context.

Teach (parents, teachers etc.) instead of running away.
I don't think it's running away and I don't think a 7 year old should be listening to such things. Parents should do their best to keep it away and I think a similar thing could be done by whomever - district heads - in the school system. And it's not like it's being wiped from every copy on earth.

I was watching Three Stooges with my son over the holidays. They had a marathon on AMC. In a lot of the earlier shorts, the "help" is portrayed by black actors characterized by the worst stereotypes you could imagine - highly offensive stuff. It wasn't a statement of the time, it was just a dumb fact of the time and the way things were. Now, my son's just 3 and doesn't understand, but when he's older, I'll explain, just like my dad did for me. That said, if I could snap my fingers and have that whole image erased from every movie, short movie, cartoon, I would. We know what went on back then. We don't have to see it to continue to grow and understand.

Those scenes and this type of language are both inconsequential to their respective works. Like I said, people think it's the start of less benign changes and I don't think that's the case at all. And I bet if Twain were alive today, he wouldn't have written such things.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote