Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - editing mark twain for modern sensibilities
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Claudius
contemplating

The Killing Joke

Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aar_Canada View Post
It's a difficult situation to deal with. Of course you guys have no problem with it knowing the context and the time. And you're adults. Certain kids though, I don't know. They don't understand. Could it be an opportunity to educate? Maybe, maybe not. I just have this vision of nasty schoolyard crap. And this thing's been banned from certain school districts because of the word. Change a word, gain a book. Seems reasonable. I don't think it's the start of more extreme forms of censorship.
But hearing the same words, if not more offensive words, in rap music for example should be tolerated?

I've dealt with 7 year olds who've used the word 'nigger' and don't understand it's concept. When I asked where they learned it, the typical answer was, an I'm paraphrasing, popular media.

At least, with Twain, it was always read in my experience in school and we always had a lesson on the language etc. It's a great tool to utilize and teach about language and ABOUT context.

Teach (parents, teachers etc.) instead of running away.
Claudius is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote