Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Daily Raptor Dish - 30.12.10
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Acie
landry fields forever

Administrator

Representing:
Raptors Daily Raptor Dish - 30.12.10

Raptors' Davis takes his shot

Quote:
This was the statement game of Davis’ young career thus far.
His team-high 17 points and 12 rebounds, not to mention a trio of steals and blocks, in 31 minutes said loud and clear that Davis can have an impact right now, rookie or not.
Sure, Davis has had games where he has shown an impressive ability and enough aggression to pull down rebounds in numbers. On more than a few occasions he has shown his ability to block and alter shots. The difference Tuesday night in Dallas was he was doing all that and scoring. He was the complete package.
Davis even stepped out of form and attempted a few mid-range jump shots, something the coaches have been encouraging him to do. He sank his first one from 13 feet but the majority of his scoring still came from within a four-foot area of the basket.
“It’s just gaining confidence,” Davis said. “I know I can hit that mid-range jumper but having the confidence to take it was not there.”
It’s probably still not all the way there yet, but it’s certainly better than it was.
“When you’re playing well and the team is playing well everything comes easy,” Davis said.

Raptors' chiropractor gets cracking

Quote:
Amir Johnson needed help and he wasn’t sure where he was going to get it.
For Johnson it came in the form of a former Texas Longhorns tackle once drafted by the Minnesota Vikings.
His name is Jay Humphrey and while the NFL career was over before it got started, Humphrey has made a nice living as a chiropractor.
Turns out Humphrey, who is a friend of a friend of Raptors assistant trainer Rory Mullin, was just what Johnson needed.
“He cracked my back nine times, man,” Johnson said. “It was real good. I woke up so stiff this morning I wasn’t sure I could go.”
At 6-foot-6 and 313 pounds, Humphrey is no shrinking violet, but his aggressive treatment appeared to be just what Johnson needed.
Humphrey also worked on Sonny Weems, who is having back problems of a different kind than Johnson. Weems said it helped him to some degree but not enough to where he could actually play.

Consistency is key for Raptor rookie

Quote:
Ed Davis had it all on display: the quick jumps and the athleticism, the defensive presences and aggression on the offensive boards.
It was a breakout kind of game for the Raptors rookie, who led the team in scoring, rebounding and overall impact in Tuesday’s improbable win over the Dallas Mavericks.
But in the harsh “What have you done for me lately?” world of professional sports, it really doesn’t mean a lot.
The thing the 22-year-old big man needs to develop — as is the case with almost all first-year NBAers — is a level of consistency and his efforts in Dallas will be a bit diminished if there’s a huge fall off here against the Houston Rockets on Friday night.
“I think with all rookies in the league, it’s a matter of doing it 82 times,” Toronto coach Jay Triano said. “He (Davis) is going to have to bounce back and have the same kind of performance against Houston.
“As soon as you rest on your laurels in this league, somebody jumps up and bites you.”

Raptors Blog by Doug Smith

Quote:
Remember Peja Stojakovic?
Guy they got in the Jarrett Jack trade, likely just a rental until the February trade deadline?
Well, I’m told his knee’s better – he’s spent some time in New Orleans with doctors and therapists there – and there is a chance he’ll be back on the practice court next week.
Now, I don’t think for a second he’s here long-term – if he shows he’s fit, some contender will want him down the stretch – but in these days with the injuries killing the HOTH, there are sure some minutes available for him.
I also don’t know what they could possibly turn him and his expiring, $15 million contract into but I do think he’ll be gone by the end of February.
But it’s nice that he might be back for a bit before that.

Sunshine Girl - 30.12.10

Quote:
SUNshine Girl Stephanie, 19, says she just loves being young. Enjoy it while you can, Steph. In the meantime, this 5-foot-3 Gemini wants to graduate from college with an A-average, work on cruise ships and see the world. She loves the beach, all types of tunes and reading or going to the gym

RF Girl of the Day - Melissa Wheat

RF Man Candy of the Day

Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote