Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Almost as bad as the Lewis signing
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Adequate Swag
is pounding the rock!

RF Affiliate

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Yeah, good point, they did slump this season.

Don't get me wrong, I think Deng is an excellent player, I would love to see him in a Raps uniform anyday. It's just crazy how players could jump from $3 million to $12 million in just one year. But Chicago will be good this year. They just barely missed the playoffs, and with the addition of Rose now, they'll most likely be grabbing a spot this year
There's nothing crazy about it.

When players are drafted in the first round, they are signed to a guaranteed rookie deal. The deal's monetary amount is predetermined by their draft position, and if I'm not mistaken, the deals are 3 years with a 4th year option.

Deng just finished his 4th year, meaning his $3 mil was a rookie contract, and only reflected his value based on his draft position.

This contract reflects his value based on his performance thus far in his NBA career as well as the current market for a player of his abilities.

Any top flight player will have a massive salary increase from his rookie deal to his next one.

And this is nowhere near as bad as the Lewis signing. Rashards is 6 years, 110 million. Chicago got a younger player who doesn't score or shoot as well, but is far more multi-dimensional than Lewis for 40 million less. About 7 million less per year.
Adequate Swag is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote