Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Beijing Olympics
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

The Killing Joke
Send a message via MSN to Claudius

I would agree with Doc's sentiments regarding the air quality. It is horrendous and I was just reading an article on CBC.ca where the government has TWELVE days listed as "blue sky" days. Consdiering that they're planning on shutting down almost all of the industrial production and almost all automobile use I can see this being a massive strain on the Chinese domestic economy and also the global economy as well (how many of our products today might come from the nearby regions).

Politically as well, it would motivate me not to go. The tibet issue is a massive issue, however, more importantly, has anyone at all mentioned Taiwan and the issues the Chinese government to this day has with the independent state? The fact that they're still pointing missiles there? Do we just turn a blind eye and say it's ok for two weeks?

As an athlete, out of principle I wouldn't participate in these games. Couldn't do it because if we stand for freedom of expression and belief and all that jazz, then how can you simply go to a state which essentially laughs in the face of these ideologies?
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote