Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Jose's Coach in Spain Focused on D
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 11:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
Adequate Swag
is pounding the rock!

RF Affiliate

Representing:

I can live with criticism of Smith's offensive x's and o's, although I think even those are overblown. Simply saying "bad offense" or "bad x's and o's" isnt legitimate criticism. Provide specific examples and reasoning and have a better alternative if you want to be taken seriously (not speaking to this thread specifically, but to the countless lazy Smitch critics in general)

Regardless though, I don't see how Smitch's defensive coaching, x's and o's or otherwise, can be fairly criticized. The guy has never had any semblance of defensive talent on his team. You could put any defesive guru of a coach you wanted on the Raptors staff for the past 3 years, that's still going to be a below average defensive team.

Now he's added an All-NBA defender, which is going to give him a much better oppurtunity to show his skills as a defensive coach.

People hate on Smitch as though we've had a championship caliber team here over his tenure. The Raptors defense was better than it should have been based on personnel last year, and despite the so called flaws in Smitch's offense they continue to be a quality offensive team statistically.

And it's nice to hear that Jose's coach is stressing defensive intensity, but I wouldn't expect Jose to come back as any type of lockdown defender. Smitch stresses defensive intensity just as much as the next guy, so I don't think a month with a different coach playing a different brand of ball is going to drastically change anything about Jose's game.
Adequate Swag is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote