Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Sonny Weems FA worth?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #36 (permalink)
mb666
it is what it is.

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Just out of curiosity did you watch the Raptors at all last season? Or did you just jump aboard when Kleiza signed? I'm wondering right now... because if you DID watch this team play last year you'd have known that Sonny started for a stretch of about 20 games or so to end last season... and played VERY well.

So all this talk of "playing above his worth for a few games" is really unfounded IMO.

We heard pretty much the same thing from the Turkish Hedo fans last season though.
I've been watching the Raptors since Kleiza's arrival so you know him better than I do. I've still seen him play nonetheless. The reality is that Weems is not a better player than Turk or Kleiza. My guess is that Turk received a big contract and had less incentive to hustle and so forth. Everyone here hates Turk but he was very impressive in Orlando. He can't just drop so quickly in one season. You can criticize his Phoenix numbers but hes playing 24 minutes a game. His production is off but I'd still have him over Weems.

Now I just did some research (Hedo Turkoglu 2009-10 Game Log | Basketball-Reference.com) and judging by games in which Turk played 35 minutes (in Toronto)Turk was rather productive statistically. Maybe he didn't score 18 pts every time, but he grabbed a bunch of rebounds and handed a decent number of assists. Turks complaint was that he wasn't playing enough. This may be off topic, but now I understand a big problem in Toronto. Management may be an issue. The coaching staff needs to do a better job of distributing minutes. Triano needs to pick his 5/6 main guys and give them almost 30 minutes each. Enough with this sharing 22 minutes between two guys nonsense.

Weems is playing well and so forth.. bla bla bla. When a guy plays 35 minutes a game then he will have decent stats. Give Brian Scalabrine 35 minutes and he'll look good. Now looking at Kleiza, his biggest minutes games are (38, 34, 27) where he's averaging 18 pts and 5 rbs per game. Now Weems' biggest games (41, 37, 34) he's also averaging about 18 pts. I'm prob making this post confusing, but what I'm trying to argue is that if you give Kleiza or Weems 35+ each night, then Kleiza will be more productive. For this season, adjusted to playing 36 minutes, Kleiza's numbers may look like this: 15.7 pts, 5.1 rbs, 2 assists. Weems numbers would be 14 pts, 2.5 rbs, 2 assists.

Remember that Kleiza is putting his numbers up being slightly injured and fatigued from the European Championship. Weems is a better man to man defender but Kleiza is a better rebounder. Kleiza is a better post player and 3 point shooter, but Weems is a better driver. Weems is getting minutes because Kleiza was hurt and not because he outplayed him. Now he's on a hot streak so Triano is leaving him in. Fine. Then play Weems 36 minutes a game and barely put Kleiza in. Once Weems cools down put in Kleiza for 36 minutes. Players need to get into a grove.

Pay Weems 3.5 million for 3 years. We already have Kleiza. No need to overpay two guys. Otherwise he can leave and get a cheap backup. Toronto needs to have 5 core guys making decent money and 2 strong backups. This group should be getting paid. Maybe that can include Weems although we need a real C backup. Don't over pay ten guys and have them share minutes each game.

Last edited by mb666; 11-19-2010 at 02:52 PM.
mb666 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote