Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Cheeks Comments on Sam & Canada Situation
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dr. J. Naismith
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator
Cheeks Comments on Sam & Canada Situation

Hmmm ..... don't know really how to take this. Is this Mo's subtle way of saying its Leo's fault or am I reading into this too much?

Maurice Cheeks is vacationing in San Diego, but sometimes work has a way of trickling through even in the most serene surroundings.

For the 76ers coach, it was the report of center Samuel Dalembert being dismissed from the Canadian national team at the FIBA Olympic qualifying tournament in Greece last week.

"Without going into too much detail, it's a situation that we decided to move forward with the players who have the passion and desire to play for Canada," Canadian coach Leo Rautins told the Los Angeles Times last week. "It's disappointing for sure, but I think you have to have players who are 100 percent committed to it."

Comments like that prompted Cheeks to make a few phone calls on behalf of Dalembert Tuesday.

"I just want to say (after) some of the things I heard and some of the things I've read, that Sam's been great for me," Cheeks said. "The times he's been around, he's been good. All the things I've asked him to do - practicing, getting to meetings, being on time - he's done. Different coaches have different ways and I'm not knocking Leo because I don't know what went on there. I'm talking about Sam and the 76ers, and for us to be successful we have to have Sam be in tune to the things we're trying to do, and he has been."
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote