Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Why We Didn't See or Hear Much From Benson During SL
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dr. J. Naismith
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator

Representing:
Default Why We Didn't See or Hear Much From Benson During SL

Tough luck. Too bad because I would of liked to hear more about his efforts and potential had he not been hurt. Damn you Joey. :mad:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo Sports
The first practice was all about instruction. Head coach Sam Mitchell made it very clear to all of us that our focus would be defense, so I was making every effort to be in the right spot and to talk. Only an idiot would do otherwise, I thought. Still, despite my best efforts, I couldnít escape the ridicule that seemed to catch up with everyone who failed to employ the correct defensive tactics. If there was one thing I learned from coach Sam during that first two hours, it was that he doesnít accept anything less than perfection.

The second practice was more fluid than the first. We got right into the scrimmage situations. I felt like things were going well. I wasnít doing great, but I was definitely being very active on defense. It was about 30 minutes in that my entire Vegas trip took a turn. I was trying to protect the paint while Joey Graham drove the lane for a layup. On my way up to block his shot, his elbow caught me right in the jaw. The entire left side of my face was numb for the next 10 hours. This is important to note because just a few plays later, I was battling for a rebound when I hyper-extended my right knee attempting to stay in bounds with the ball. Since my jaw was numb with pain, I didnít recognize the pain of my knee and continued to practice for the rest of the day.

The next morning when I awoke, I got up to brush my teeth and fell onto the floor with my first step. My right knee had no strength. I visited the trainer who explained that I had sprained my MCL. I sat out of practice (which coach Mitchell made a note of because one of the assistants called my name for the starting five) and visited with a doctor later that day. He confirmed that it was a grade-2 sprain and that a few days off, at least, would do me some good. It was basically confirmed right then that I would miss at least one or two games of the Vegas Summer League.

I now had two missions for the Vegas Summer League: to get healthy and to get buckets. Both were cast in a shadow of doubt and only time would tell if I could recover in time.
Source - Click here
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote