Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Raptors Off-Season Notes Courtesy of Grange
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dr. J. Naismith
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator

Representing:
Raptors Off-Season Notes Courtesy of Grange

Just a little tidbit from Michael who's touches on Graham's excellent, but not so excellent summer league, Jawai and what Andrea's up to in the next little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Grange
A quick note on Summer League, which admittedly got scant coverage here as I was only too happy to focus on the Olympic qualifying tournament.

From what I gather, it's over, and you could make the case that Joey Graham was the most valuable player, given he averaged 18 points and 6.4 rebounds in five games.

This, of course, proves nothing. The Raptors were 1-4 in Vegas, suggesting that even in Summer League, Graham's most likely role is best player on a bad team. And let's look at those numbers: He did average 32 minutes a game, most on the team, so the numbers are going to come. But he also shot a not-so-impressive 46.7 per cent from the floor and averaged 3.8 turnovers a game and oh yeah six fouls.

Nothing personal against Graham he's always been polite and friendly to everyone that I've ever noticed. And I respect the fact that he's a three-year veteran who's willing to put the time in and come to Vegas to try and impress his employers.

But the reality is he's heading into his fourth NBA season. He's a physical marvel. He's 26 years old. He should rule at Summer League.

A line that would impress me? Something efficient. Something that indicates he's staying ahead of the game mentally. A high shooting percentage, low turnover numbers and low foul totals.

That didn't happen, so I'm not that impressed.

Hard to get a read on Nathan Jawai based on two games, but I've only heard good things not surprising at this stage. But the fact he got four offensive rebounds in 17 minutes the other night is encouraging. A guy his size that has a nose for the ball is intriguing.

A note on Bargnani. He's going to be spending the next two weeks in Vegas, I'm told. The first at Joe Abunassar's Impact Basketball facility where be working out under the eye of Gordon Herbert.
Source - Click here
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote