Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Swirsky Officially Becomes a Canadian
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
'trane
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick, Wicked and Nasty! View Post
First off have you ever listened to other team's broadcasts? Their broadcasters are just as homeristic and biased...only few of them have a personality..they're just drones that lull you to sleep. In other words, dont' hate chuck for supporting the team he is paid by..he's pretty complimentary of other teams, coaches and players as well and may not rip the Raps when they're sucking but he doesn't ignore their weaknesses either.

Second you comment about him rarely commentating on the game is untrue and unfair. If you really listen and not through your anti-chuck fuzzy pink ear muffs you'll notice when the action is on he's calling it...what he does do is interject historical comparisons and anecdotes for Leo or Jack to comment on from a basketball perspective, and while you may or may not want to learn about that aspect of the game, it's history and people...some of us do. I guess if you dont' that could be annoying?

Third..you DO have another option. Put your radio or internet broadcast to the fan 590 and listen to Paul and Eric!
1. I don't hate on him for being a Raps supporter and a homer. I hate on him for being such an obvious company man. You'll never hear a bad word about BC or MLSE from Chuck, you can bet on that. There's a huge difference there.

2. Meh, if that's what you like, then so be it. We'll just have to disagree. He knows a ton about sports, there's no doubt, and the history is important to some. What I hate is all the other garbage - breaking balls with Leo, the whole salami and cheese insanity, calling out the threes from 'downtown wherever'. It's the same crap every game. It drives me nuts that he has to be talking at all times. This is why I love watching soccer. The commentating is sparse, well informed and necessary to the enjoyment of the game. Now I realize that this is apples and oranges, but when Chuck's not talking about the game, he's not interesting IMO, and that's a good 50% of the time.

3. Oh, I do, all the time. But it irritates me that I have to. And I know I'm not the only one. And Eric and Neal are pretty bad too. Bring back John Saunders!!!

Two other points:
1. The catch phrases are so silly by now. I'm willing to be that we couldn't tell the difference between the talking bobble-head Swirsk and the real thing. It's just bad Chuck cliche after bad Chuck cliche, all the time. He's like a robot, inserting excitement by using pre-programmed cliche phrases and vocal tones even when it's not exciting - "OH BABY WHAT A PLAY!!!!!" when it's just a lay-in, for example.
2. He has no idea what he's saying. "Eating some rim", "NBA facial", c'mon, is nobody pointing the obvious out to him? How can you be such a goody-two-shoes to not know what those terms mean? This kind of thing drives me nuts. I just find him to be such a douche.

I'm sorry I felt the need to get on Chuck a bit here. Your opinion is yours, and mine is mine, and we don't need to argue about it. I certainly don't mean to insult you, but I just can't take Chuck anymore. I find every moment of his commentary excruciating.

MikeTO and I can't be the only ones, can we?
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote