Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Clippers sign Azubuike to offer sheet
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 12:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Adequate Swag
is pounding the rock!

RF Affiliate

Representing:

We'll see.

There are plenty of issues associated with playing two centres together. Most teams go two 4's because they can't find a 5, and these guys are going with two pivots.

Who on this team guards quicker 4s?

I mean, what stops Dirk, Aldridge, West, and to a lesser extent (in the East) Garnett, Smith, and Bosh from absolutely shitting on this team? Any 4 with jump shooting and ball handling abilities is going to force LA to change their game plan.

Neither Camby or Kaman should be defending on ball outside of 10-15 feet. So how the hell does this team defend Dirk (who is the best example) without a legit 4 man? Al Thornton at 6'8, 220 can't handle a big man in the post, but Camby and Kaman can't handle one on the perimeter.

I mean, shit, even Bargs would be an absolute nightmare to defend for these guys.

The game is moving more and more towards versatility from big men, and LA is relying on a system that features two old school pivots.

Furthermore, neither Camby or Kaman is particularly effective offensively. Sure, they get theirs as any fairly skilled big man would, but the mismatch they provide on offense doesn't negate the one on the defensive end in my opinion. They'll be forced to guard potent offensive threats who they don't match up well with. They themselves are not as threatening, so teams won't be that concerned about defending them with 4's.

And then who actually is their number 2 offensive threat after Baron? Kaman is nice, but he tends to take what he gets rather than creating like a go to offensive threat should. So who's next? Eric Gordon?

Azubuike is a really nice offer sheet signing (GS will likely match though. I understand the offer is only 3 mil per year, which aint much), and I think they're generally heading in the right direction, which is no small feat for the Clips. I'm a little skeptical about playoffs this season though. The only team I see dropping out of the playoffs is Denver, and I'd bet on Portland to take a better shot at that spot than the Clips will.
Adequate Swag is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote