Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - judge decriminalizes prostitution in ontario
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ligeia
pensive

feat. Otto Neurath

Representing:

A little personal perspective....

I live in the neighbourhood that MacLeans called Canada's worst. I've also volunteered in a group that helps get women off the street. This does not mean that I'm an expert, nor does it mean that anything I say speaks towards prostitution everywhere. I hope it does, however, shed some light on why I support this sort of legislation.

I find the characterization of prostitutes as "junkies looking for their next rock" to be incredibly unfair. A lot of the prostitutes I have met are women with no education, no friends, no supportive family, and kids to raise. Often they were drawn into the business by dominant men who they thought they loved. One of the biggest battles we face is drawing women away from gangs that control their lives, and the lack of viable legal alternatives makes the problem more difficult to address.

At the most, less than half have a crack problem. Even if they do, I'm not sure that's a good reason to deny them legislation that can help protect them.

From my perspective, bringing the sex trade above ground will only be a good thing for these women. Why would anyone work for a pimp if they can work in an environment where everyone is tested, safe, counselling is provided, etc.?

There are a lot of liberal arguments that can be put forth in support of legal prostitution, but I think there is also a very strong moral case you can put forth: that keeping prostitution increases the aggregate harm and, thus, is an unjust state of affairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
Prostitution - Disease - Health Benefits - Workers Comp....That whole idea seems a bit ridiculous.
Could you explain what precisely you find ridiculous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
I understand the idea and hope by gutting these laws, but I think efforts could be focused elsewhere to protect prostitutes.
Which is all very well and good for you to say, but can you give some examples of what else you think should be done?

Last edited by Ligeia; 09-29-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Ligeia is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote