Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - 20-Somethings Living At Home
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #52 (permalink)
Renihan_00
Unacceptable?! Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch!

Get off my lawn

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdependent View Post
sometimes i think people waste money on things they dont really need, like do you really need to live in a big house, or could a semi detached work do the same thing for you or do you really need that expansive car or will a used car be better
I think a lot of people waste money on ridiculous things they don't need or they buy something greater than their needs.

I have no problem with people buying something better than the basic need but it always floors me when people pay money for things far in excess of the items actual functionality.

For example:

Purse A-
A plastic bag. Cost: 5 cents

Purse B-
Moderate quality purse. Cost $100 (roughly)

Purse C-
High end purse, cost $1,500 (roughly).

I can understand the justification moving A to B. You are buying something that looks nicer, has more durability, will last longer, more pockets, can be closed firmly, has more capacity, can be carried on a shoulder.

It's the people that purchase purse C I don't understand. You gained a lot of functionality for $99.95 by moving from A to B.

What functionality do you get for your extra $1,400 dollars by moving from B to C. What justifies that increased cost?

I think a lot (not all) of people that buy luxury goods buy then to make themselves feel awesome not because the item itself is actually awesome. I find that rather sad.

Disclaimer- I did not pick purses to start a whole "women are the culprits" claim here. I just find it is a lot easier to go with this example then a car or electronics which vary so heavily in the capabilities.

Last edited by Renihan_00; 09-20-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Renihan_00 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote