Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Swirsky Officially Becomes a Canadian
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dr. J. Naismith
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator

Representing:
Default Swirsky Officially Becomes a Canadian

Congrats to Chuck .... nauseating to some because of his homerism, but can't fault the guy for his passion of Raptors basketball and for his love of this country. I'm happy for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Swirsky
Today I will officially become a Canadian citizen. I am humbled and honoured.

I would like to thank MLSE for their support over the years as Richard Peddie, Tom Anselmi, Liana Ward Bristol, John Shannon and Chris Hebb have been encouraging. The folks in 307-Raps TV: Dan Gladman, Nicole Anderson, Frank Hayward and Ashley Boland have been invaluable as well. Our TV traveling crew of Jack Armstrong, Matt Bloom, Troy Clara, Paul Graham, Leo Rautins and John Rusin are outstanding professionals. Nelson Millman of the Fan 590 brought me here 10 seasons ago and without question it's the best professional decision I have ever made. I owe a lot to Nelson Millman, a man who is a pioneer in sports talk radio in Canada. It would have been a very safe choice to hire a home grown Canadian in 1998 to call Raptors' games but Nelson thought outside the box and persuaded me to leave WJR Radio and the University of Michigan for the NBA.

I flat out love Toronto and admire what this country stands for. As a dual citizen I will maintain my passion and enthusiasm for Canada when discussing personal and business opportunities with associates in the United States.

By nature I am a positive person. That's the way I was raised and I haven't changed. I always look for the good in people and hopefully that reflects in my broadcasting style. I want to express that to all Canadians that you should be proud of "our" country and to be patriotic and proud.
And Mike Ulmer's little blurb on Chuck becoming Canadian today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ulmer
There were homemakers, businesspeople, civil servants and one sports announcer. Seattle native Chuck Swirsky, the voice of the Toronto Raptors, waved his tiny flag with the rest. It’s been a decade since Swirsky drove across the Ambassador Bridge that links Detroit and Windsor. He was coming for a try in Canada. When he was a kid all he knew about Canada was that the bacon and maple syrup were good and that Vancouver was a pretty city. Even, as an adult making that drive he didn’t know a whole lot more.

“My first impression when I made that drive from Detroit was ‘this is a huge city, a huge market” he said. There was opportunity for Swirsky, but there was also something more.

“What I love about Canada,” he said, “is the people, the diversity, the connection people have with each other here.”
Link - Click here
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote