Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - 08-09 JO, Calderon, Bosh etc..... stats
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #23 (permalink)
Adequate Swag
is pounding the rock!

RF Affiliate

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
i am going to go out on a limb and predict that Jose will lead the league in assists next season.
the guy will log 40 mins a night...
the BIG difference between him and Nash is simple, Jose does not make turnovers.
Nash avg's about 3.5 TO's per game, while Jose avg's like 1.5. thats the main difference, jose is so much more careful with the ball.
and this season, he has another big weapon to pass to.
Jose's low tunrover rate had a lot to do with him not playing starters minutes.

He'll still turn the ball over less than Nash this season, but that's also due to the style of play. Nash controls the ball in the Phoenix offense almost all the time. He likely controls the ball more than anyone in the league (besides maybe Paul) and it's not just bringing it up the court and setting up the offense. He penetrates, brings it back out, and basically runs around with it until he gets an opportunity to make something happen. In contrast, Jose is very steady, and is more concerned with getting the team into the offense than making individually spectacular plays.

The Suns offense relies on Nash's creativity and risk taking. The same things that make him great result in increased turnovers, but the Sun's will take it.

Toronto's relies on Jose being cautious and running the sets. So as such, he certainly could lead the league in assists (although I think he's a step back from Nash,Paul, Kidd, Williams) but I'd be just as happy to see him around 7 or 8 per game if he can keep the turnovers down.
Adequate Swag is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote