Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Alimony
Thread: Alimony
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 05:06 PM   #204 (permalink)
Bill Haverchuck
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!

Representing:

25K for a wedding...

Edit - Actually, I know nothing about throwing a wedding, so I have no idea what a reasonable cost would be.

A lot of people in Manitoba have "socials" to pay for their weddings. That is, they rent out a hall or a community centre, book a DJ, serve a bunch of alcohol, and sometimes give away prizes. The hosts charge people to attend this event, and make additional cash off the sale of the alcohol and raffle tickets for the prizes. It's kind of amusing. You charge people to attend a party, just so you can throw another future party attended by pretty much the same group of people.

The Ukranians have a very practical tradition: presentation weddings. Rather than give a gift, you give the bride and groom some cash. Most people give enough to at least cover the cost of the dinner. If it's an open bar, then guests will likely give a donation that well exceeds the cost of the meal. This really alleviated the financial burden of my bros wedding. Him and his wife did not need a blender, plates, or some other crap. I was much happier to give them a chunk of cash and then pound the booze at the bar with a clear conscience.

I don't know how popular "presentation weddings" are in Ontario. I've been to a couple of weddings in which people born and raised in Ontario seemed stunned by the idea of giving cash. Makes sense to me.

Last edited by Bill Haverchuck; 08-23-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote