Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Bogut to Sign $72.5M deal
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 11:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
Adequate Swag
is pounding the rock!

RF Affiliate

Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
I see Alexander as a carbon copy of Tyrus Thomas to be honest. There's a lot to be excited about but will he be able to translate that success in athleticism into actual basketball skills to me is a big question mark. I'm not sold on him by any stretch of the imagination.
Alexander's offensive game is WAY WAY ahead of where Tyrus Thomas was at though.

I mean, Alexander was the primary offensive option on a very good team. They would give him the ball and let him go to work. He's shown he has skills he can build off, even if they aren't at the NBA level yet.

Alexander was a bonafied scorer in college this year. He'll have to adjust his game to the NBA, but it seems the skill set is there.

At no point in his NCAA career (one year, I know, but still) did Tyrus Thomas give any indication that he could be an offensive option. No jump shot, no handle, no ability to create. Alexander has shown all of those things on some level. Tyrus was basically a fast break finisher and a pogo stick on defense who benefitted from a deep tournament run and the fantastic play of Big Baby Davis that year.

I see what you're getting at, in that Alexander shot up draft boards out of nowhere. But he had an absolutely phenomenal NCAA tournament, and he's shown significantly more skill already than Tyrus Thomas has ever shown.
Adequate Swag is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote