Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Alimony
Thread: Alimony
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #67 (permalink)
Aar_Canada
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
Yes, I get that. And it's stupid that most people just expect everyone else to get married eventually.

You're practically married. Common law, with a cute little boy, house, etc, etc. You don't want to actually be "married". That's cool.

But some people do. I dunno. I like the idea of it... being a wife, having a husband, a little ceremony, the knowledge that by law I have someone who is my partner. And, in true girly-ness, I like the idea of "forever", even if it rarely exists anymore.

To each his own, of course. I've been common law, I just think a marriage is a step beyond. Further committment when it's the right person.

Or some crap like that. What do I know?
See, I don't think it's a step beyond. And if it feels like it is, that'd wear off pretty quick. I don't know. I think some people view marriage as something you do after you've been playing the field and sort of trying out a bunch of different people. "Now I've found THE ONE and now we will be married!" which I guess I understand within that context. THAT'S a step beyond. But if you're committed in your relationship(s) before, I don't see the difference. It's like it's not what it used to mean, which begs the question, what does it mean? What does it mean in this day and age?
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote