Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Alimony
Thread: Alimony
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #65 (permalink)
the fighter of the Nightman

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb

Originally Posted by Aar_Canada View Post
I'm not anti, I just don't know what the difference is between getting married and just being with someone, for a long time or common law or whatever.

Anti-marriage to me means anti-commitment. Y'know, people who don't want to settle with one person.

I guess I bring it up because I get a lot of people (usually older) who say, "When are you getting married?!" and I say, "Why?" and they can't answer me or they'll say, "To make your girlfriend happy!"
Yes, I get that. And it's stupid that most people just expect everyone else to get married eventually.

You're practically married. Common law, with a cute little boy, house, etc, etc. You don't want to actually be "married". That's cool.

But some people do. I dunno. I like the idea of it... being a wife, having a husband, a little ceremony, the knowledge that by law I have someone who is my partner. And, in true girly-ness, I like the idea of "forever", even if it rarely exists anymore.

To each his own, of course. I've been common law, I just think a marriage is a step beyond. Further committment when it's the right person.

Or some crap like that. What do I know?
Barracuda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote