Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Alimony
Thread: Alimony
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cory
Truth

Representing:

Prenups are better than none, but the problem with prenups is they cannot apply to:

(a) custody of the children (this includes things such as in what religion to raise the children, their schooling, etc.)

(b) child support

(c) visitation to the children

Also, when you write prenup, for it to hold up in court it has to be prepared by attorney's serving each party, so your partner will be advised to serve her own interests (e.g., if she's having kids, then she is going to specify that she wants ailimony to compensate for the time she invested in having the infant(s)), so it is tough to escape ailmony, but a prenup does lessen the blow.

To me, the worst thing that can happen is if your wife leaves you for another man, he's the step father, but you are paying for a kid you can't have custody of, and who is getting raised by another father who is taking in money, maybe more money than you. And you can go to jail if you don't pay, so it's a little scary. A prenup cannot protect from that scenario.

My sisters new boyfriend is in that situation right now, that's why I'm thinking about it. He pays child support to a woman who cheated on him and has a new man who acts as step father, it's ridiculous.

Last edited by Cory; 08-12-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Cory is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote