Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Summer '08 Players to Watch - Jose Calderon
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 02:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Adequate Swag
is pounding the rock!

RF Affiliate

Representing:

Well Garnett, Duncan and others don't want to play. I'm sure Jerry Colangelo would love to have them though. As guys get older, they have less desire to subject themselves and their families to serious basketball over the summer. The NBA season takes a pretty significant toll on 30+ year old guys.

But yeah, I agree, the selection process is too big name based. Besides Prince, the 2 and 3 positions are just loaded with scorers. Do they really need Lebron, Wade, Kobe and Melo? I mean, yeah they're all great, but Kobe's the only one who is above average defensively, and they're all amongst the most ball dominant players in the league. Plus they're going to keep Tayshaun off the floor, and he needs to be out there more often than not in my opinion.

It also pains me the Jason Kidd is going to be the starting point guard for this team. I love a savvy vet as much as the next guy, but his play has gone downhill in the past few years, not to mention his backups are the best in the league. Start Paul and make Billups the back up in my opinion.

Regardless of who's on the team, it's always the US's tournament to lose. I think they could field about 5 teams and those would still be the top 5 most talented teams in the tournament.

Also, given that it's pretty well acknowledged that the USA's problem is a bunch of huge ego's fueled by professional basketball success, why the hell do they have a college coach? Wouldn't it make more sense to have someone who is used to dealing with professional egos?
Adequate Swag is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote