Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - World Cup thread
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #618 (permalink)

nosce te ipsum

Personally i don't think soccer needs to do a single thing about changing the rules of the game to broaden appeal. Not one thing. It is far and away the most popular sport in the world. I don't think it's in anyone's interest to cater the game to some North American market because the general public doesn't 'get it' or there's not enough scoring. Billions of people the world over do get it and are happy with it. The rules are great.... as for the ability to maintain those rules accurately within games... now that's another matter all together.

Totally blows that they're showing the Brazil / Netherlands game at 10:00. I will again have to stay in the dark and avoid the score (as i did with the Japan Uraguay match) until the replay at 7:00 - meaning i'll stay out of this thread after kick off.

BTW. you know what totally fucking killed me with the Japan Uraguay game? so i managed to go through the whole day not knowing the score or anything about the game. Great. Half time rolls around and there is a commercial for CBC's "the National" where they preview the stories of the day. One of the things mentioned in the preview "and stay tuned for reaction after the first game in the world cup that went to a penalty shootout. .... now back to Soccer action at the World cup in south africa!"

motherfucking CBC (during the actual game) ruined it for me.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key