Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - vuvuzelas - yay or nay?
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 07:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
fancylad
blah!

nosce te ipsum

Representing:
Default vuvuzelas - yay or nay?

Vuvuzelas. these things:

It's hard not to notice them when you watch any match. The constant buzzing and trumpeting that just doesn't quit.

I find they can get a little annoying at times, but overall they don't bother me too much. Actually a few times i thought they sounded cool. The only real negative IMO, is that they drown out the crowd reactions to big plays/goals. that and you can't hear crowd chanting and singing, which has always been a big part of the soccer atmosphere. Still i realise that soccer atmosphere in South Africa involves the vuvuzela and i am all for getting the genuine feel of the event.

Now the thing i find a little funny is that there was actual discussion to ban them. To me this is a bit overly dramatic, but i guess some people have a different priority list.

Quote:
Despite criticism from World Cup TV viewers around the globe that the swarm-of-bees sound from the plastic horns is stinging their ears, the organization left no doubt Monday that the uniquely African soundtrack is here to stay.

"I have always said that Africa has a different rhythm, a different sound," Sepp Blatter, president of soccer's governing body, said in a Twitter post. "I don't see banning the music traditions of fans in their own country."

He went on to ask, "Would you want to see a ban on the fan traditions in your country?"

FIFA and Blatter have strongly backed the use of vuvuzelas since they were introduced to the wider football world at the Confederations Cup test event in South Africa exactly a year ago
2010 World Cup: FIFA president Sepp Blatter bucks criticism of vuvuzela hum - ESPN Soccernet
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote