Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Best Shows on TV?
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #171 (permalink)
Bill Haverchuck
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
I saw the fourth season on Direct TV and it was awesome! Some problems with it, but overall very well done. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Yeah, it's the same with me. Only, I know a lot of women and they all say "a show about football? Really? I don't want to watch a show about football." It's such a fantastic show about so much more than football. Let me know when you get a few episodes into it and we can exchange notes.
Hey, Taz, I'm 5 episodes in now. Your comment that the show is "about so much more than football" is as relevant as ever. The writers really try to incorporate contentious cultural, social and economic issues facing America/Texas into the story/character development. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before universal health care is mentioned this season...haha

Off the top of my head, I have a few observations. I'd also like to hear/read what you liked/disliked.

- I kind of like the way the writers resolved the conflict between Vince and Luke. I was worried the writers might try too hard to play the "We Are the Titans" angle (I don't know if you saw that movie?), but I think they did a good job of avoiding the Disney type of resolution. There are some similarities, but FNL put a better twist on it. It also helps that J.D. has turned into an arrogant little fuck. It makes Luke and Vince's quick resolution seem more plausible, at least it does to me.

- I was kind of dissapointed with how abruptly Riggins came back to town. But at the end of last nights show I saw a teaser for next week's episode and Lyla appears to come back. So maybe some back story that appeared to take place off camera will emerge from that? For a show that's so character driven at times, the writers do have a tendency to leave some unfortunate gaps in their development. As I mentioned, it's convenient that J.D is acting like a little bitch, but he sure changed rather quickly. I used to feel bad for the kid.

- Somewhat related to that last point about J.D, it seems like the writers are slowly building a perfect storm of hatred towards the Panthers. At least the writers aren't being ridiculous by making East Dillon successful right from the start. I have a feeling they are going to lose most of their games and then beat Dillon. It just seems like they are building towards that with all the things they embed in the plot. Like Dillon having to forfeit a game due to Luke's presence on the roster. My money is on East Dillion being the one team to beat Dillon and prevent them from making the playoffs. I really hope I'm wrong, though, because that would be a little too Disneyish. If they do that, I hope it is well done and not too cartoonish. *crosses fingers*

-Landry lands another babe? :facepalm: I'm interested to see how that develops, given that Vince likes Jess.

-Jess's family dynamics are a gold mine. I'm thinking maybe her Dad ends up mentoring Vince in some capacity? In fact, I'm sort of hoping that happens. "Good job, writers!"

- Matt's character is interesting to me for personal reasons, so I'm curious to see where he is at by the end of the season.

- Gay assistant coach, interracial kissing, daughter who doesn't want to go to church anymore = a conservative Texan's head explodes...hahaha

You know, given some of the subject matter, I wonder how popular this show is with actual Texans? I mean outside of Austin.

Last edited by Bill Haverchuck; 06-05-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote