Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - No more fish in our oceans by 2050
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Have you read "Slow Death by Rubber Duck" by Rick Smith and Bruce Lourie? I highly recommend it ... fascinating and frightening read.
I knew Rick Smith fairly well from my days at the University of Guelph. He's a cool guy. I read a piece in Harpers a couple of years ago about rubber ducks, and the general junk in the ocean. I imagine that is where they got their original idea from.

as to thought's comment

Quote:
Oh no! The only answer is an extreme paradigm shift changing the way we breathe, eat, work and live.
Considering that our economy was created on the idea that we could take advantage of a "limitless" bounty of resources, and considering that idea is clearly dangerously incorrect, then what option beyond a fairly radical change is going to steer us away from eventual disaster?

And may I make the point that the real extreme paradigm shift took place on the back of that lie of a limitless bounty. Human beings lived within real limits for eons up until that point. Now we are looking at not even accepting the limitations of our own mortality, and that while so much life around us cannot be sustained any longer.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote