Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Relegation/Promotion format
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Claudius
contemplating

The Killing Joke

Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default Relegation/Promotion format

So I was thinking yesterday, should North American sports begin to follow this format?

In European soccer for those who don't know, relegation and promotion, are common practices between the leagues.

In North America we essentially reward the loser by giving them the best young player and some teams even tank. With relegation, you're potentially losing money so the pressure to field a team with a chance to win is much greater. So is this something that could be employed here? At least with the MLS?

I could see it work with MLB. Have your premier and division 1 teams and have an ASG b/w the two divisions, that way your crappy teams like Pitt and KC have a chance to win something.

Hockey, allow the AHL to work as the D1. That way you can get interest in the AHL back up but also allow shockers like Hamilton, Winnipeg to enter into the NHL by simply winning.

It's an idea. I don't think it'd happen and kinks would have to work out but I find myself really bored with North American sports lately with the same markets always dominating.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote