Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - To all the doubters.....
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 02:42 PM   #278 (permalink)
Bill Haverchuck
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
If people would just stop arguing and realize that I'm right they wouldn't be nearly as long!

Ha!
I'm going to make a couple of points regarding draft picks.

Even if Babcock values picks, he did a shitty job of using them. If a noob GM had listened to what most scouts are suggesting, and took the best player available based on that, they'd probably get things right at least 1 out of 3 picks, especially if 2 of them are lottery picks (some talent will still be left). And even if they drafted based on need and followed scouts' rankings, they'd still probably get it right 1 out of 3 times. Babcock couldn't even do that.

In 2004, Babcock went against the grain and picked Haffa. Just embarrasing. And that's not hindsight. At the time, people knew it was a shitty pick.
In 2005, Babcock had 2 1st round picks. He used the 7th overall on CV, who was speculated by many to fall outside of the top 13 and might even have been available with the 2nd Raptor pick. Like Haffa, CV was taken earlier than expected. What did Babcock do with the 2nd pick? He used it on Joey Graham. At the time, that may not have looked too disgusting, but other elite teams had Granger ahead of Graham. In fact, some credible analysts had the Raps taking Granger at the 7th pick. After the top 5, the Lakers had Bynum and Granger as the next top players available. Mitch K. said it in an interview right before the Lakers picked Bynum. On a side note, Shaq is a dumbass for ever suggesting Mitch K. doesn't earn his cheque. Back on topic.

Now, in my opinion, 2005 is actually more annoying than the Haffa decision, even though Haffa was an epic fail. Babcock had 2 picks to play with. When you have 2 picks, it might be a good time to roll the dice with one of them. You can afford to. Of course, he might have thought CV was the gamble. And he should have realized Haffa was a total fail (I don't know what his excuse was, to be honest), so he didn't go after Bynum with the 7th pick. And then he didn't even go after Granger when he was still available outside the lottery. He should have walked away with one of those players. Not only did he miss out on Iggy, but he missed out on one of, or both, Granger and Bynum. I wouldn't have expected him to have the foresight to nab both, that's unfair. He's not in the same league as Mitch K., who would have taken both Bynum and Granger if the Lakers had the 7th and 16th picks. But it WAS realistic to expect Babcock to nab 1 of those 3 players (Iggy, Bynum, Granger). Just one. At the very least he should have nabbed Biedrins who was ranked higher than Haffa. Biedrins would have looked good alongside Bosh back in 2007 and 2008. So...much...drafting fail. Babcock's draft choices had an impact on this organization, and not in a good way. Having said that, I will concede that CV kept his head out of his ass long enough for the Raps to get something out of that pick. But CV is living up to what the scouts said: he is a player with character issues, who does not maximize his skill.

The bottom line is, we don't know for sure how things would have turned out had Babcock stayed. Maybe he would have pulled off some miraculous trade and turned the team around. Who knows? But I'm not convinced, especially since others within the organization did not appear to respect his position.

BC is not super awesome, but I'll take him over Babcock.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote